Cordova District Library
Minutes of the Regular Meeting
Of the Board of Trustees
September 24, 2015
The meeting was called to order at 4:38 pm by Debra Hart, Vice President. Some board members may be attending electronically.
Trustees in attendance: Debra Deines, Debra Hart (left meeting at 5:00 pm), Byron Kurkowski, Karen Lonergan, and Audrey Roman. Absent: Merredith Peterson and Bruce Wood.
Sue Hebel/Library Director and Cheryl Lennox/Head Librarian were in attendance.
Presentation by Bill Stoermer
Bill Stoermer, Communications Manager for the Cordova Exelon nuclear plant, addressed the Cordova Library Board regarding the possibility of closing the facility and the impact on the Cordova community. Mr. Stoermer presented information to educate the audience on how the sale of energy is handled. The Cordova plant is committed thru 2018 for supplying energy. He stated that the current plan is for the plant to be operating until 2032 and that Exelon in working with Springfield to achieve this goal.
Exelon currently pays 8.5 million in taxes each year. The predicted financial impact on Rock Island County is 1.4 billion dollars. In 2013-2014, the Cordova Library received $289,211.39 in Rock Island County taxes. $232,500.00 was from Exelon. 80% of the Cordova Library budget came from Exelon taxes.
Approval of Minutes
The minutes from the August 2015 meeting were presented. Byron Kurkowski made a motion to accept the minutes as read and was seconded by Audrey Roman. Motion carried.
SECRETARY’S REPORT: Deb Deines reported that while at the Moline Library recently, a library employee told her that his wife enjoys attending many of the dyeing and craft programs at Cordova Library. He feels that the Cordova Library is a treasure for the community.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT: no report
TREASURER’S REPORT: Byron Kurkowski presented the financials for the month. Karen Lonergan made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report and pay the bills. Audrey Roman seconded. Motion carried.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the payments made by the District, under the signatures of the President, Treasurer, or Director, as detailed in the Financial Report presented and approved as necessary to meet the obligations of the District in timely manner.
DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Sue Hebel reported:
· The new library law books are here. There are 2 available for checkout.
· Freegal music is an e-resource for our patrons to not only checkout music, but keep what they have checked out. There is a $500.00 set up fee and the product is $1000.00 per year. By signing up for 24 months, each patron is eligible to check out 5 items per week and has 3 hours of streaming music each day. Freegal has over 10,000,000 songs available. This product will be added to our e-materials and will be available in 4-6 weeks.
· An e-magazine resource is being researched for the library. “Zinio” is a product especially designed for libraries. It has over 5000 magazine titles.
· The Village of Cordova has notified the library that 2 lots have been removed from TIFF. We will start getting tax dollars for these lots.
LIBRARIAN’S REPORT: Cheryl Lennox reported:
· Circulation statistics for August 2015 were distributed and discussed.
· Information for the October/November newsletter needs to be submitted by October 2, 2015.
· An Anne Frank program is scheduled for October 12, 2015 at 1:00. This program is appropriate for adults and children. There is no school that day as it is Columbus Day.
· A bonfire dinner is scheduled for October 16th at 5:30. This will be our first program using the library green space by the tennis courts. Games and food are planned.
· The October 2015 calendar was distributed and discussed.
A motion was made by Byron Kurkowski to accept the Tentative Budget for fiscal year 2016-2017. Seconded by Karen Lonergan. Motion carried.
Karen Lonergan suggested a committee to review the Exelon situation and to present option scenarios for the future. She volunteered to work on this committee.
Financial Strategic Plan: No report
PERSONNEL: No report
Personnel Strategic Plan: No report
Sue Hebel presented Job Application E-18 to be added to the policy manual. Karen Lonergan made a motion to accept the policy. Byron Kurkowski seconded. Motion passed.
Sue Hebel distributed a new index and table of contents for the policy manual.
Policy Strategic Plan: No report
BUILDINGS & GROUNDS: No report
Building & Ground Strategic Plan: No report
TECHNOLOGY: No report
Technology Strategic Plan: No report
Byron Kurkowski requested that the Bud Poel property be returned to the agenda for review at next month’s meeting.
The next meeting will be on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 6:00 pm.
A motion was made by Byron Kurkowski and seconded by Karen Lonergan to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. The meeting was adjourned at 5:47 pm.