Cordova District Library
Minutes of the Regular Meeting
Of the Board of Trustees
September 10, 2013
The meeting was called to order at 4:32 pm by Merredith Peterson, President. Some board members may be attending electronically.
Trustees in attendance: Deb Deines, Debra Hart, Gene Krukow (joined meeting at 4:46), Byron Kurkowski, Karen Lonergan, Merredith Peterson and Bruce Wood.
Sue Hebel/Library Director and Cheryl Lennox/Head Librarian were in attendance.
The minutes from the previous meeting were presented. Deb Deines made a motion to accept the minutes as read and was seconded by Byron Kurkowski . Motion carried.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT: no report
SECRETARY’S REPORT: no report
TREASURER’S REPORT: Sue Hebel presented the financials for the month. Bruce Wood made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report and pay the bills. Karen Lonergan seconded. Motion carried.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the payments made by the District, under the signatures of the President, Treasurer, or Director, as detailed in the Financial Report presented and approved as necessary to meet the obligations of the District in timely manner.
DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Sue Hebel reported:
· Bylaws were distributed to Library Trustees.
· Sue attended a meeting regarding the Affordable Health Care Act. Applicants may be using the library computers between October 1, 2013 and January 31, 2014 to complete applications. Staff may help patrons, but may not do the application for them, due to privacy issues.
· Sue attended a Web Junction session titled: Impact Survey: Understand Your Community’s Technology Needs. We will use the survey tool to gather information on technology needs for our patrons.
LIBRARIAN’S REPORT: Cheryl Lennox reported:
· The August Statistics were distributed and discussed.
· The October calendars were circulated and discussed.
· The October/November newsletter information is due by September 26, 2013
A motion was made by Karen Lonergan to accept the Tentative Budget for fiscal year 2014-2015. Seconded by Deb Deines. Motion carried with a roll call vote:
Gene Krukow yes
Karen Lonergan yes
Debra Hart yes
Bruce Wood yes
Byron Kurkowski yes
Deb Deines yes
Merredith Peterson yes
Financial Strategic Plan: No report
PERSONNEL: No report
Personnel Strategic Plan: No report
POLICY: No report
Policy Strategic Plan: No report
BUILDINGS & GROUNDS: Bruce Wood reported:
· The air conditioner in the worst condition will be replaced this fall by Young’s Heating and Air. Bruce Wood made a motion, seconded by Byron Kurkowski to spend less than $6000.00 to replace the air conditioning unit with funds coming out of Building Maintenance and Repair. Motion passed.
· A motion to remove the curb in the parking lot, spending $1200.00, and hiring Diamond Cut to do the work, was made by Bruce Wood and seconded by Gene Krukow. Motion passed.
· The sidewalk is pulling away and settling toward the street.
· There is concern about someone stepping off the sidewalk. One solution may be to set posts with chains stretched instead of bars at the edge of the sidewalk.
· The parking lot will be sealed this fall
Building & Ground Strategic Plan: No report
TECHNOLOGY: No report
Technology Strategic Plan: No report
The Strategic Plan is to be updated by October 15, 2013. Discussion opened with the need to explore parking lot expansion. Merredith Peterson distributed a list of points to be researched and discussed. Everyone is to ponder #3: Vision – future set, considering a 3-5 year plan. Merredith requested that each person write a couple of paragraphs to share at the next meeting to look at common threads to refine our mission statement.
The next meeting will be on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 6:00 pm.
A motion was made by Byron Kurkowski and seconded by Deb Deines to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. The meeting was adjourned at 6:10 pm.