Cordova District Library
Minutes of the Regular Meeting
Of the Board of Trustees
May 12, 2016
The meeting was called to order at 5:01 pm by Debra Hart, Vice President. Some board members may be attending electronically.
Trustees in attendance: Debra Deines, Debra Hart (left meeting at 5:30), Karen Lonergan, Audrey Roman, and Bruce Wood.
Absent: Merredith Peterson and Regina Skipper.
Sue Hebel/Library Director and Cheryl Lennox/Head Librarian were in attendance.
No public present.
The minutes from the April 19, 2016 meeting were presented. Deb Deines made a motion to accept the minutes as read and was seconded by Karen Lonergan. Motion carried.
SECRETARY’S REPORT: Deb Deines read thank you notes from Cheryl Lennox and the Family of Del Nelson.
A motion was made at 5:05 pm by Karen Lonergan and seconded by Deb Deines to go into closed session. Motion carried.
CLOSED SESSION2(c) (1) The appointment, employment compensation, discipline, and performance or dismissal of specific employees of the public body or legal counsel, including hearing testimony on a complaint lodged against an employee or against legal counsel to determine its validity.
A motion was made at 5:10 pm by Karen Lonergan and seconded by Deb Deines to return to regular session with no action taken in the closed session. Motion carried.
Karen Lonergan made a motion to increase the payroll budget by the amount discussed in Closed Session. Audrey Roman seconded. Motion carried.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT: No report
TREASURER’S REPORT: Karen Lonergan presented the financials for the month. Karen Lonergan made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report and pay the bills. Deb Deines seconded. Motion carried.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the payments made by the District, under the signatures of the President, Treasurer, or Director, as detailed in the Financial Report presented and approved as necessary to meet the obligations of the District in timely manner.
DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Sue Hebel reported:
· Rachel Ellicott has been hired to work two nights a week, as Colette Saathoff requested to work less.
· A letter from Bill Stoermer regarding Exelon was read. Letter stated that if State of Illinois doesn’t pass the Next Generation Energy Plan and Exelon isn’t successful in the energy auction this spring the Quad City Nuclear Plant will close June 1, 2018.
· Sue has been contacted by Cordova Township Supervisor Jon Kavanaugh, regarding the Corporate Replacement Tax overpayment of $1505.25.
· Sue will be on vacation June 11th – June 19th.
LIBRARIAN’S REPORT: Cheryl Lennox reported:
· Statistics from April 2016 were discussed.
· The calendars for June and July 2016 were distributed and discussed. Both calendars are full of programming for kids, and staff is gearing up for a very busy summer.
· Cheryl will be on vacation June 3rd – June 19th.
The Draft of the Working Budget for 2016-2017 was distributed and discussed. This will be on the agenda to be passed at the June 9, 2016 board meeting.
Sue has contacted State Street Interiors for remodeling information. It was decided to add $25,000.00 from Building Maintenance and Repair from the Non-allocated Levy Fund to cover the remodel.
Financial Strategic Plan: No report
Changes to the By Laws were discussed. It was decided, after much discussion regarding meeting time convenience to patrons, to move the monthly Library Board Meeting to the second Thursday of the month at 7:30 am beginning in July 2016.
Policy Strategic Plan: No report
BUILDINGS & GROUNDS:
· Young’s Heating and Air came out to fix the air conditioning and discovered that the cover had been removed which caused the air conditioning to not work. They also suggested to use cheap air filters and to change them more often.
· There are 2 dead trees and 2 sickly trees at the Library Green Space. Sue and Bruce Wood will look at the trees and make a decision about removal. Bruce suggested checking into Johnson Hardwoods in Mt. Carroll as a disposal alternative for the oak trees.
Building & Ground Strategic Plan: No report
TECHNOLOGY: No report
Technology Strategic Plan: No report
The next meeting will be on Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 5:00 pm.
A motion was made by Audrey Roman and seconded by Karen Lonergan to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. The meeting was adjourned at 5:55 pm.