Cordova District Library
Minutes of the Regular Meeting
Of the Board of Trustees
May 12, 2015
The meeting was called to order at 4:30 pm by Merredith Peterson, President. Some board members may be attending electronically.
Trustees in attendance: Debra Hart, Byron Kurkowski, Merredith Peterson and Bruce Wood.
Absent: Debra Deines and Karen Lonergan.
Sue Hebel/Library Director and Cheryl Lennox/Head Librarian were in attendance.
Merredith Peterson swore in Byron Kurkowski as continuing Board Member.
The minutes from the previous meeting were presented. Bruce Wood made a motion to accept the minutes as read and was seconded by Byron Kurkowski. Motion carried.
The minutes of the April 14, 2015 Closed Session were presented. Debra Hart made a motion to accept the minutes as read and was seconded by Byron Kurkowski. Motion carried.
SECRETARY’S REPORT: No report
PRESIDENT’S REPORT: Merredith Peterson suggested contacting Dennison R. Love to do an aviation exhibit/program.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Byron Kurkowski presented the financials for the month. Bruce Wood made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report and pay the bills. Debra Hart seconded. Motion carried.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the payments made by the District, under the signatures of the President, Treasurer, or Director, as detailed in the Financial Report presented and approved as necessary to meet the obligations of the District in timely manner.
DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Sue Hebel reported:
· Sue will be on vacation June 15th – 22nd
· The June Budget Report will not be available until June 23, 2015
· Sue went to Springfield on May 6th for Nuclear Powers Illinois. There were 27 buses of supporters from Illinois. A vote should be made before August as to the future of Exelon in Cordova.
· Sue attended the Cordova TIF Meeting on May 6th. The library does not have an intergovernmental agreement with the village. The library may apply to the village for TIF funds for things that needs to be replaced. TIF #1 expires in 2021. #2 and #3 expire in 2022.
· Sue and Cheryl will be attending a workshop titled, “Succession Planning”, on May 13th.
· Deb Deines and Byron Kurkowski will review the Closed Sessions minutes from January 2015 to June 2015.
LIBRARIAN’S REPORT: Cheryl Lennox reported:
· Statistics for March and April were reviewed
· The June and July calendars were distributed and discussed.
· There are three Summer Reading Programs scheduled. Each program is geared for a different age group of children. Two bus trips are scheduled:
1. A trip to Fun City in Burlington Iowa is the final program for the readers going into 1st and up.
2. Kids entering 5th grade and up will attend a bus trip to Chicago to sail on Lake Michigan on the Tall Ship Windy.
· Two week long camps are scheduled for the summer: Art Camp and Sewing Camp
· The library newsletter will be folded on Tuesday by our Friends group
The Working Budget 2015-2016 was presented. A motion to adopt as presented was made by Bruce Wood and seconded by Debra Hart. Motion passed with a roll call vote.
Byron Kurkowski yes
Bruce Wood yes
Debra Hart yes
Merredith Peterson yes
Financial Strategic Plan: No report
PERSONNEL: No report
Personnel Strategic Plan: No report
Updated pages were handed out for the policies approved at last month’s meeting.
Policy Strategic Plan: No report
BUILDINGS & GROUNDS:
Sue talked to MSA Professional Services regarding the potential parking lot south of the building. He will look at the property on Thursday and then contact Sue. One parking space requires 10’ of space.
Building & Ground Strategic Plan: No report
TECHNOLOGY: No report
Technology Strategic Plan: No report
· Reorganization of Board Members is tabled until the June meeting.
· Bruce suggested writing a letter to John Filbert recognizing his 23 years on the Fire Board.
The next meeting will be on Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 4:30 pm.
A motion was made by Byron Kurkowski and seconded by Debra Hart to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. The meeting was adjourned at 5:20 pm.