Minutes of the Regular Meeting
Of the Board of Trustees
May 13, 2014
The meeting was called to order at 4:36 pm by Deb Deines. Some board members may be attending electronically.
Trustees in attendance: Debra Deines, Byron Kurkowski, Karen Lonergan (left meeting at 5:15), and Bruce Wood.
Absent: Debra Hart, Gene Krukow, and Merredith Peterson.
Sue Hebel/Library Director and Cheryl Lennox/Head Librarian were in attendance.
Closed Session was moved to the beginning of the meeting.
Karen Lonergan made a motion to go into closed session. Seconded by Byron Kurkowski. Motion carried.
Deb Deines made a motion to return to regular session. Seconded by Byron Kurkowski. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Karen Lonergan and seconded by Byron Kurkowski to accept personnel decision made in closed session. Motion carried.
A bid for $1450.00 to seal the parking lot by Seal and Stripe, Inc. was presented. A motion was made by Karen Lonergan and seconded by Byron Kurkowski to accept the bid. Motion carried. Roll call vote:
Karen Lonergan yes
Bruce Wood yes
Byron Kurkowski yes
Deb Deines yes
The minutes from the previous meeting were presented. Bruce Wood made a motion to accept the minutes as read and was seconded by Byron Kurkowski. Motion carried.
The minutes from the April 8, 2014 closed Session were presented. Byron Kurkowski made a motion to accept the minutes as read and was seconded by Bruce Wood. Motion carried.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT: no report
SECRETARY’S REPORT: no report
TREASURER’S REPORT: Byron Kurkowski presented the financials for the month. Karen Lonergan made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report and pay the bills. Bruce Wood seconded. Motion carried.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the payments made by the District, under the signatures of the President, Treasurer, or Director, as detailed in the Financial Report presented and approved as necessary to meet the obligations of the District in timely manner.
The maturing cd will be used to purchase the old school property. The excess amount will be re-invested.
DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Sue Hebel reported:
· Sue attended the Blackhawk College workshop, “Follow the Money: Protect Every Dollar”, created by Judy Barr Topinka. This workshop was created in response to the City of Dixon embezzlement case.
· Innovative (library system circulation software) has now purchased Polaris. We will see no changes.
· Sue learned at Delegates Assembly that RAILS will pay part of the fee for eRead Illinois if all the libraries join.
· Sue attended an all day workshop at the Elgin Library titled “Lead the Change”, sponsored by Library Journal and the B.A. David Company.
· The Donna Normoyle Memorial Birdbath is missing. The Library Board requested that Sue report to the Rock Island county Police.
LIBRARIAN’S REPORT: Cheryl Lennox reported:
· The May 2014 Circulation statistics were distributed and discussed.
· The June 2014 calendar was discussed.
· A successful Basic Quilting class was taught by Cheryl. 8 people attended and requested another class in the fall.
· Zumba will no longer meet on Thursday evenings, as attendance has dropped.
· Summer Reading begins on Monday, May 19, 2014
· Newsletter articles are due by May 23, 2014.
FINANCE: The Tentative Budget was presented by Byron Kurkowski. This budget will be for fiscal year 2014-2015. Board members are asked to look over the budget and be prepared to discuss and/or pass the budget at the June board meeting.
Financial Strategic Plan: No report
PERSONNEL: No report
Personnel Strategic Plan: No report
POLICY: No report
Policy Strategic Plan: No report
BUILDINGS & GROUNDS:
Sue reported that the title search on the Old School Property is done. The bid must be accepted by ordinance. Sue will attend the Village meeting on Thursday. The closing will be scheduled after the ordinance is accepted.
Building & Ground Strategic Plan: No report
TECHNOLOGY: Sue Hebel has completed all four sessions for the Edge Initiative which is a requirement for the Per Capita Grant.
Technology Strategic Plan: No report
The next meeting will be on Tuesday, June 10, 2014 at 4:30 p.m.
A motion was made by Byron Kurkowski and seconded by Bruce Wood to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. The meeting was adjourned at 5:48 pm.