Cordova District Library
Minutes of the Regular Meeting
Of the Board of Trustees
February 10, 2015
The meeting was called to order at 4:35 pm by Debra Hart. Some board members may be attending electronically.
Trustees in attendance: Debra Deines, Debra Hart, Byron Kurkowski, Karen Lonergan and Bruce Wood. Absent: Merredith Peterson.
Sue Hebel/Library Director and Cheryl Lennox/Head Librarian were in attendance.
The minutes from the previous meeting were presented. Deb Deines made a motion to accept the minutes as read and was seconded by Byron Kurkowski. Motion carried.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT: No report
SECRETARY’S REPORT: Thank you notes were read from Mike Johnson and Traci Stratton. A letter from Secretary of State Jesse White congratulating Sue Hebel for being named a Star Library by the “Library Journal” was read.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Byron Kurkowski presented the financials for the month. Karen Lonergan made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report and pay the bills. Deb Deines seconded. Motion carried.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the payments made by the District, under the signatures of the President, Treasurer, or Director, as detailed in the Financial Report presented and approved as necessary to meet the obligations of the District in timely manner.
DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Sue Hebel reported:
· The library will be closed on Monday, February 16th for President’s Day
· Sue will attend a 2 hour online workshop on “Conceal and Carry”, on February 25th
· Sue will attend from home, an all-day online conference titled, “Big Talk from Small Libraries” on Friday, February 27th.
· Sue suggests working on the Strategic Plan. Staff needs an answer for patrons when asked about building a new library.
· Bylaws (6 pages) need to be reviewed by each Trustee by the March 10th meeting. Suggested items for consideration include: copies, faxes, fines for Trustees, etc.
· Bruce Wood questioned the “write in” procedure for elections. Sue will find out.
LIBRARIAN’S REPORT: Cheryl Lennox reported:
· January 2015 statistics were reviewed.
· An eRead demonstration was scheduled. 3 people have participated. Digital service will continue to be marketed to our patrons.
· In celebration of Women’s History Month, a program on Eleanor Roosevelt is scheduled for March 4th.
· We will have a young adult reading program in addition to our children’s summer reading program. A final trip to Chicago to sail on the Tall Ship Windy is scheduled for July 16th.
· We have 10 young ladies signed up for our summer sewing camp
· The Cordova yard sales will be coordinated by the library. Dates are May 29th and 30th.
· Sue reported that she went to each bank to remove Gene Krukow’s name from the accounts. Deere Harvester Credit Union (DHCU) requires Karen Lonergan and Deb Deines to go in person to complete the requirements. Karen and Deb must also go to the Bank of Orion on John Deere Road.
· The maturing certificate of deposit dollars will go to Family Credit Union. Rate is currently 1.75
Financial Strategic Plan: No report
PERSONNEL: Karen Lonergan handed out Sue’s performance review, requesting that they be returned by the March Board Meeting.
Personnel Strategic Plan: No report
POLICY: A motion to accept the updated Meeting Room Policy was made by Deb Deines and seconded by Karen Lonergan. Motion carried.
Policy Strategic Plan: No report
BUILDINGS & GROUNDS:
· Bruce Wood requested that Mike Johnson fill the crack in the sidewalk with QPR Repair.
· Sue Hebel reported that the lights on the outdoor sign will be replaced in the spring (awaiting warmer weather).
Building & Ground Strategic Plan: No report
· Two staff computers (workroom and circulation desk) were replaced. The “old” computers were cleaned and moved to patron status.
· Bob Sireno recommends that we upgrade to Windows 10, when available.
Technology Strategic Plan: No report
Karen Lonergan asked for an update on the purposed sidewalk railing. Deb Deines reported that Greg Deines could not do the work without an engineer’s print.
NEW BUSINESS: none
The next meeting will be on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 4:30 pm.
A motion was made by Deb Deines and seconded by Byron Kurkowski to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. The meeting was adjourned at 5:15 pm.