Minutes of the Regular Meeting
Of the Board of Trustees
February 11, 2014
The meeting was called to order at 4:31 pm by Debra Hart. Some board members may be attending electronically.
Trustees in attendance: Debra Deines, Debra Hart, Gene Krukow, Byron Kurkowski, Karen Lonergan (left meeting at 5:09), and Bruce Wood. Absent: Merredith Peterson
Sue Hebel/Library Director and Cheryl Lennox/Head Librarian were in attendance.
The minutes from the previous meeting were presented. Karen Lonergan made a motion to accept the minutes as read and was seconded by Deb Deines. Motion carried.
Deb Deines made a motion to go into closed session. Byron Kurkowski seconded. Motion carried.
Karen Lonergan made a motion to reopen the regular meeting. Deb Deines seconded. Motion carried.
Bruce Wood made a motion, seconded by Byron Kurkowski, to counter offer the Village of Cordova $70,000.00 for the old school property. Motion passed. Roll call vote:
Deb Deines yes
Byron Kurkowski yes
Bruce Wood yes
Gene Krukow no
Karen Lonergan yes
Debra Hart yes
A letter will be sent from the Library Board with the offer, to be drafted by Karen Lonergan and to be seen by Board Members before sending.
SECRETARY’S REPORT: Deb Deines read a letter from Jesse White’s office stating that the Cordova Library has been awarded a per capita grant in the amount of $1275.00.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Byron Kurkowski presented the financials for the month. Gene Krukow made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report and pay the bills. Deb Deines seconded. Motion carried.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the payments made by the District, under the signatures of the President, Treasurer, or Director, as detailed in the Financial Report presented and approved as necessary to meet the obligations of the District in timely manner.
DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Sue Hebel reported:
· She will be off work February 28th and March 3rd
· Hoopla will be available very soon
· Sue will attend a webinar on March 13, 2014 on ebooks.
· On Thursday, February 13, 2014, Sue and Cheryl will participate in an ALA webinar on library websites.
LIBRARIAN’S REPORT: Cheryl Lennox reported:
· January circulation numbers were distributed
· March and April calendars were discussed
· Special programs scheduled for spring include: Road Tripping: 100 Years of Named Highways and Good Roads on April 15th; a book launch and luncheon on March 26th; “It’s Moving Day for Laura Ingalls Wilder” by Laura Keyes; and a bus trip to White Pines on June 18th to see “Golden Gals”.
· The princess tea on February 8th was a success with 15 young ladies attending.
· An article written by Dispatch writer Lyle Ernst, will be in the paper this weekend, covering the Cordova Library’s 4 star rating by Library Journal.
FINANCE: No report
Financial Strategic Plan: No report
PERSONNEL: Karen Lonergan handed out evaluation forms to board members to complete and return to Karen by March 11, 2014
Personnel Strategic Plan: No report
POLICY: No report
Policy Strategic Plan: No report
BUILDINGS & GROUNDS: No report
Building & Ground Strategic Plan: No report
TECHNOLOGY: No report
Technology Strategic Plan: No report
A motion was made by Byron Kurkowski and seconded by Bruce Wood to accept the new mission statement. Motion carried.
Mission Statement: The Cordova District Library creates an inviting and accessible environment where community members connect with information, culture, recreation and one another through a diverse range of materials, services and technologies.
The next meeting will be on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 at 4:30 p.m.
A motion was made by Deb Deines and seconded by Byron Kurkowski to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. The meeting was adjourned at 5:30 pm.