Minutes of the Regular Meeting
Of the Board of Trustees
April 19, 2016
The meeting was called to order at 6:02 pm by Merredith Peterson, President. Some board members may be attending electronically.
Trustees in attendance: Debra Deines, Debra Hart, Karen Lonergan, Merredith Peterson, Regina Skipper, and Bruce Wood. Absent: Audrey Roman
Sue Hebel/Library Director and Cheryl Lennox/Head Librarian were in attendance.
No public present.
The minutes from the February 9, 2016 meeting were presented. Karen Lonergan made a motion to accept the minutes as read and was seconded by Deb Deines. Motion carried.
SECRETARY’S REPORT: Deb Deines read a thank you note from Traci Stratton for the Christmas bonus.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT: The next two Library Board meetings will be as follows: May 12, 2016 and June 9, 2016 at 5:00 pm. The decision will need to be made about the July meeting and going forward.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Karen Lonergan presented the financials for February and March. Deb Deines made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report and pay the bills for February. Bruce Wood seconded. Motion carried. Deb Hart made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report and pay the bills for March. Deb Deines seconded. Motion carried.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the payments made by the District, under the signatures of the President, Treasurer, or Director, as detailed in the Financial Report presented and approved as necessary to meet the obligations of the District in timely manner.
Sue Hebel explained that the Rutledge Electric bill covered installation of two new fans and replacement of worn equipment. Bruce Wood suggested looking into changing the florescent lights to LED thru a program with Midwest Energy.
DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Sue Hebel reported:
· Sue and Cheryl went to the Cedar Rapids to tour the new library for ideas to improve the Cordova Library. This library:
ü Does not have a traditional circulation desk
ü Has large table top IPADS in the children’s department
ü Has treadmills with laptops
· The library inventory is complete.
· Bruce and Sue went to Geneseo for a Phil Lenzeni workshop. Content of the workshop included: FOIA requests, personal emails (a separate library only use email is preferred for board members), Open Meeting Act (Four members must be present at a meeting), and public comments (the person must be physically present).
· Sue attended the TIF Meeting. A $1313.09 check was received by the library from a TIF2 redistribution.
· Sue attended a 3 part workshop titled, “Finance for Librarians”.
· Early voting in March was a success. Early voting for the general election has been scheduled for Wednesday October 26, 2016 from 1:00-7:00.
· Sue will attend Delegates Assembly on April 27, 2016
· With the Quad Cities libraries rejoining PrairieCat, our cost will go down.
· An award letter for the 2016 Per Capita Grant stated that Cordova will receive $786.00, but payment may be delayed.
LIBRARIAN’S REPORT: Cheryl Lennox reported:
· Program highlights and successes for February and March included: Kids DIY area, Therapy Painting, HyVee Food Program, Early Voting, and National Meatball Day Lunch.
· Statistics for February and March were discussed.
· Facebook post reach success stories include 492 reaches for the quilt of the month photo and 889 reaches for Joanne Boone’s Extreme Librarian Skydiving photos!
· The May calendar was distributed and discussed.
· Merredith Peterson will be added on the Treasurer Resolution.
· A copy of the TIF Annual report is available at the library to read.
Financial Strategic Plan: No report
· By Laws are to be reviewed this year (even year). Board members are to bring suggested changes to the May meeting or send to Sue if not attending the meeting.
Policy Strategic Plan: No report
BUILDINGS & GROUNDS:
· Sue contacted Craig Wainwright to show her the property lines for the Green Space property. The fire hydrant is the marker in the back. There are water and sewer lines under what is considered an “abandoned street”, so closing the road would not be feasible.
· The oak tree in the back of the property may be dead. Approval was given to take it down if dead.
· Young’s Heating and Air is coming out on Friday as the air conditioner in the main part of the library is not working properly.
Building & Ground Strategic Plan: No report
TECHNOLOGY: No report
Technology Strategic Plan: No report
A motion was made at 7:04 pm by Bruce Wood and seconded by Karen Lonergan to go into closed session. Motion carried.
CLOSED SESSION2(c) (1) The appointment, employment compensation, discipline, and performance or dismissal of specific employees of the public body or legal counsel, including hearing testimony on a complaint lodged against an employee or against legal counsel to determine its validity.
A motion was made at 7:20 pm by Bruce Wood and seconded by Karen Lonergan to return to regular session with no action taken in the closed session. Motion carried.
Personnel Strategic Plan: No report
The next meeting will be on Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 5:00 pm.
A motion was made by Deb Deines and seconded by Regina Skipper to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. The meeting was adjourned at 7:21 pm.