Cordova District Library
Minutes of the Regular Meeting
Of the Board of Trustees
April 8, 2014
The meeting was called to order at 4:30 pm by Merredith Peterson, President. Some board members may be attending electronically.
Trustees in attendance: Debra Deines, Gene Krukow, Byron Kurkowski, Merredith Peterson and Bruce Wood. Absent: Debra Hart and Karen Lonergan. Sue Hebel/Library Director and Cheryl Lennox/Head Librarian were in attendance.
The minutes from the previous meeting were presented. Deb Deines made a motion to accept the minutes as read and was seconded by Byron Kurkowski. Motion carried.
The minutes from the April 1, 2014 Special Meeting were presented. Deb Deines made a motion to accept the minutes as read and was seconded by Byron Kurkowski. Motion carried.
The minutes from the April 1, 2014 Closed Session were distributed. A motion was made by Byron Kurkowski to accept the minutes as corrected. Deb Deines seconded. Motion carried.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT: no report
SECRETARY’S REPORT: Deb Deines read a congratulatory letter from Congresswoman Cheri Bustos on the Cordova Library’s five year 4-star rating.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Byron Kurkowski presented the financials for the month. Gene Krukow made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report and pay the bills. Bruce Wood seconded. Motion carried.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the payments made by the District, under the signatures of the President, Treasurer, or Director, as detailed in the Financial Report presented and approved as necessary to meet the obligations of the District in timely manner.
DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Sue Hebel reported:
· She will be off work April 16, 2014 to travel with Honor Flight to Washington D.C.
· Sue has registered for a “Copy Write Laws” webinar to be held on April 10, 2014
· The library will be closed on Good Friday April 18, 2014
· Sue will attend the black Hawk College workshop: “Follow the Money: Protecting Every Dollar” on April 22, 2014
· Sue will attend Delegates Assembly on April 30, 2014
LIBRARIAN’S REPORT: Cheryl Lennox reported:
· Statistics for March 2014 were distributed and discussed
· The June 2014 calendar was distributed and discussed
· Some very successful programs this past month included: 26 attending Barn Quilt Painting, 64 attending the various dye workshops, and 25 attended the book launch with Lyle Ernst and Kim Sigafus.
· A Blood Drive is scheduled for Saturday, June 14, 2013 from 7:30 – 10:30. A motion was made by Bruce Wood and seconded by Deb Deines to open the library early for the blood drive. Motion carried. Bruce Wood requested further information regarding insurance coverage for this event. Sue will find out if our insurance covers the blood drive.
· Cheryl will be off work April 29th – May 2nd, taking vacation time.
A motion was made by Gene Krukow and seconded by Bruce Wood to pay for the Old School Property using the funds from the Ascentra certificate of deposit that is maturing on May 9, 2014. The surplus will be re-invested. Motion carried. Roll call vote:
Byron Kurkowski yes
Gene Krukow yes
Deb Deines yes
Bruce Wood yes
Merredith Peterson yes
The Levy Confirmation for Levy year: 2013 / Collection year: 2014 has been received. The amount certified to collect is $290, 682.49. This amount will be the working budget as of July 1, 2014. Sue and Byron will do the budget taking the budget requests into consideration.
Bids have been submitted to contract the mowing of the Old School Property. Sue has also contacted Chris Filbert, Township Road Supervisor, about mowing. A decision will be made at the May Board Meeting.
Financial Strategic Plan: No report
A motion was made by Deb Deines and seconded by Byron Kurkowski to go into closed session. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Byron Kurkowski and seconded by Deb Deines to return to regular session. Motion carried. No action taken.
Personnel Strategic Plan: No report
POLICY: No report
Policy Strategic Plan: No report
BUILDINGS & GROUNDS:
Sue Hebel contacted Attorney Phil Lenzini regarding the Old School Property purchase. He suggested Attorney Gary Schmitt, who has approved the land contract. We are now waiting for the title search to be completed by the Villages attorney Clayton Lee.
Building & Ground Strategic Plan: No report
TECHNOLOGY: Edge is a management and leadership tool for public libraries. It provides a snapshot of the library's current public technology services along with steps to make improvements and better serve communities. Edge helps libraries connect their services to community priorities. By using Edge, libraries are able to better demonstrate how their work adds value and impacts the community. The Edge Initiative represents the first-ever set of benchmarks for public access technology in public libraries.
Technology Strategic Plan: No report
The next meeting will be on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 4:30 pm.
A motion was made by Deb Deines and seconded by Gene Krokow to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. The meeting was adjourned at 5:12 pm.